Cornbread Hoe Cakes
Updated: Dec 9, 2022
1 cup of white flour 1 cup of all-purpose cornmeal 2 teaspoons of baking powder 1/2 teaspoon of salt 1 tablespoon of sugar, optional 2 eggs 3/4 cup buttermilk 1/3 cup water 1/4 cup of cooking oil (vegetable, canola) 1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup fresh corn kernels (optional) great with leftover corn on the cob kernels!
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels and place a rack on top; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. In another small bowl, add the buttermilk, water and oil. Blend well. Add eggs and mix well; combine with the dry ingredients. Add corn kernels if desired.
4. Heat butter in a skillet over medium high heat and drop the batter by 1/4 cup size to form small medallions.
5. Fry until bubbles appear and they are brown and crisp. (about 3 to 4 minutes) turn and brown the other side. Remove and let drain on the paper towel lined baking sheet.