Tips From Pips
Two Ingredient Everything Bagels
Updated: Dec 14, 2022
2 cups self-rising bread flour *(I made my own self-rising, see notes)
2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt *(I use Fage for best results)
1 large egg
pinch sea salt
1 teaspoon water
everything bagel seasoning mix
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2. Using your stand mixer with the “dough hook” attachment, place the dough in a mixing bowl and add the “dough ingredients”. Mix on low speed until a slight dough forms. Increase to medium speed and knead until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
3. Dump the mixture onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough together by hand for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Dust with additional flour as needed if the dough is too sticky.
4. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Shape each portion of dough into a ball. Use your thumbs to make a hole in the center of each ball. Gently pull and stretch until the dough is a uniform sized ring. Repeat with remaining rounds. Flour your hands as needed.
5. Arrange the shaped bagels on the prepared baking sheet. Mix the egg wash by whisking the egg, salt, and water in a small bowl until smooth. Brush the egg wash mixture over the bagels. Sprinkle the seasoning over the bagels.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet midway through baking. Remove from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes until the tops of the bagels have browned.
To make homemade self-rising flour: combine 2 cups bread flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt.
Use strained thick Greek yogurt. Stay away from those that are labeled "Greek style" yogurt as they tend to have more moisture. I used Fage Total 0% fat, strained Greek yogurt.