Broccoli & Pasta Casserole Dish
Updated: Nov 14, 2022
· 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
· 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 small onion, finely diced
· 6 tablespoons flour
· 2 cups milk
· 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
· 4 cups pasta shells, cooked and drained
· 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
· 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour pasta shells into boiling water and cook 10 minutes. Drain pasta and set aside. (Note: pasta should be slightly undercooked; it will finish cooking during the baking phase.)
2. Steam or boil broccoli in a separate pot until just softened, around 5 minutes. Transfer both broccoli and pasta to an 8x8-inch baking dish.
3. Melt butter in large saucepan and Sauté onion and garlic.
4. Add flour to the mixture and whisk frequently to fully incorporate and cook out any flour flavor. Cook for 2 minutes before whisking in 1 cup of milk; allow sauce to thicken before adding vegetable broth and remaining 1 cup of milk.
5. Increase heat to medium and simmer until sauce has visibly thickened. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, stirring to incorporate.
6. Pour creamy sauce over broccoli and pasta. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove foil after 20 minutes and add remaining Parmesan cheese, and cheddar cheese.
8. Bake for an additional 20 more minutes.