Scalloped Potatoes with Apple Chicken Sausage
Updated: Dec 14, 2022
6 Idaho Baking Potatoes
1 large Vidalia onion or sweet onion
2 packages (6 links each) Fully Cooked Apple Chicken Sausage
1 T garlic powder
Salt, pepper to season
3 Tablespoons butter
2 T olive oil
2 Cups cold milk
4 Tablespoons “Wondra” quick-mixing flour (or regular flour)
4 Tablespoons Butter
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ Cup pecorino/romano grated cheese (or parmesan cheese) your choice
1. Slice the potatoes very thin and set aside. Slice the onion very thin and add to a large frying pan with the butter and olive oil. Season with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir fry on medium high heat until they are tender and golden brown. Set aside.
2. Make the white sauce combining all the ingredients (except the cheese) into a medium- sized saucepan. Heat ingredients to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 2 minutes. (Makes 2 cups)
3. Stir in the grated cheese to the sauce mixture until melted. Set Aside.
4. Slice the Apple Sausage into bite size circles (about ¼” round).
5. Spray a 13 x 9-inch roasting or baking pan with non-stick spray.
6. Arrange a layer of the sliced potatoes on the bottom. Spread half of the onions over the top. Arrange 6 links of the sliced sausage rounds over the onions.
7. Spread half of the white sauce over the top of the sausage.
8. Spread another layer of potatoes, onions, and sausage. Top with the remaining white sauce. Cover with foil. Uncover during the last 10 minutes.
9. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 45-50 minutes until the potatoes are tender.