Tips From Pips
Seafood Au Gratin
Updated: Nov 11, 2022
1 Medium onion
1 Orange or Red pepper
½ Cup butter (1 stick)
1 Cup White Flour
1 lb. chunk crab meat (I used canned)
1 lb. medium shrimp, cooked
½ lb. bay scallops
½ lb. flounder fillets
3 Cups 2% Milk
1 Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Dash of hot red pepper sauce
½ Cup parmesan cheese (for topping)
1. Lightly grease a 10x9 baking dish. (I used a glass one) Set aside.
2. Chop your onion and pepper and add to a skillet with ¼ cup butter (1/2 stick).
3. Sauté until tender. Stir in ½ Cup flour and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixed together well.
4. Add the crabmeat and stir well. Remove from the stove and press the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. To a medium sized saucepan, melt the remaining butter (1/2 stick) over low heat. Stir in ½ cup flour. Cook and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir until thick and bubbly.
7. Once thick, stir in the cheese, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Mix until combined well.
8. Finally, stir in the seafood and mix all together.
9. Spoon the seafood mixture over the crabmeat crust in the baking dish and top with the parmesan cheese.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Serve over rice or pasta if desired.