Tips From Pips
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
· 4 cups fresh rhubarb, 1-inch diced (4 to 5 stalks)
· 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
· 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
· 1 tablespoon cornstarch
· ½ cup lime juice or orange juice
· 1 cup all-purpose flour
· ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 1 cup quick-cooking oats (not instant)
· 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) cold butter, diced
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the rhubarb, strawberries, ¾ cup granulated sugar together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the lime (or orange) juice and then mix it into the fruit. Pour the mixture into a 9 × 11-inch baking dish or pan and place it on a cookie sheet.
For the topping, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, salt, and oatmeal. With the mixer on low speed, add the butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moist, and the mixture is in crumbles.
Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely, and bake for 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling, and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired.