Buttermilk Black & White Cake
Updated: Oct 18, 2022
· ¼ cup softened butter (1/2 stick)
· 1 cup light brown sugar
· 1 large egg
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" round cake pan with baking spray and set aside.
2. Combine the butter and brown sugar into a mixer and mix until well combined.
3. Add the egg and mix until smooth.
4. Add in the buttermilk and vanilla extract until well combined.
5. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the mixture just until combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake the cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and/or the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.
** Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar or frost with your favorite frosting. (I had leftover chocolate and vanilla frosting, so I used both!) No picky eaters in my house!