Tips From Pips
Fried Buttermilk Chicken
Updated: Sep 28, 2022
· 8 to 10 pieces of Chicken legs, thighs, wings (your preference)
· 2 cups whole buttermilk
· oil for frying, (peanut oil works best)
· 2½ cups all-purpose flour
· 1½ tsp salt
· 1 tsp ground black pepper
· 1 tsp onion powder
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· ¼ tsp cayenne
· 3 large eggs, beaten, season with salt & black pepper to taste
1. Rinse the chicken pieces under cold water. Place into a bowl and cover with buttermilk. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
2. Fill a medium size pot or Dutch oven halfway with oil. Do not overfill. Heat the oil to 350°F.
3. Sift together the flour with the seasonings.
4. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk shaking off the excess. Dip into the beaten eggs then dust with the seasoned flour.
5. Gently lower into the hot oil a few pieces at a time skin side down.
6. Cook for approximately 10-12 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
7. Remove to paper towels or a rack to drain. Cover and keep warm until serving.