Tips From Pips
Ginger Snap Ice Box Cake
For the Filling:
· 8oz. cream cheese, softened
· 1/4 cup granulated sugar
· 2 tbsp. molasses
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1/4 tsp cloves
· 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
· 1/2 cup powdered sugar
· 1 1/2 (14oz) boxes gingersnap cookies
For the Topping:
· 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
· 1/4 cup powdered sugar
· Crushed gingersnaps for garnish
For the Filling:
1. Beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until it's light and fluffy. Slowly add the sugar into the cream cheese. Next, add the molasses, cinnamon and cloves and beat until the ingredients are well mixed.
2. Slowly add the heavy whipping cream, until the cream cheese mixture is a liquid consistency. As the mixture starts to thicken, add the powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form to finish the mousse filling.
3. Next, line the bottom a 9 x 10 deep dish square pan with parchment paper. Line the bottom of the dish with 1 layer of gingersnap cookies.
4. Spread a thin layer of mousse over the gingersnaps. Repeat this step 3 more times with layers of gingersnaps and mousse. You should end up with 4 layers of gingersnaps and 4 layers of mousse, with a mousse layer on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
For the Topping: (the next day)
1. Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream gets bubbly.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
3. Frost the cake with the cream, garnish with the crushed ginger snaps and serve!