Lighter Version Eggplant Parmesan
Updated: Nov 11, 2022
• 2 pounds eggplant, 1 large or 2 medium-sized
• olive oil spray
• 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
• 16 ounces part-skim ricotta
• 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
• 1 large egg
• 2-1/2 cups part-skim mozzarella, reserved
• 4 cups Marinara Sauce (or your own home-made)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray 2 sheet pans with oil.
2. Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer to the prepared pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through until eggplant is golden and soft.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, basil, ½ cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
4. Put 2 cups sauce on the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish, add 1/2 of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish.
5. Top with the ricotta cheese mixture, then add the rest of the eggplant slices over the top. Finish with the 2 cups of sauce and top with the two cups of mozzarella, and the remaining ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese.
6. Heat the oven to 400F.
7. Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted, and everything is bubbling, about 30-35 minutes.
8. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
9. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting.