Sausage & Onion Pasta Skillet
Updated: Jul 23
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 (28 ounce) (10 links) package fully cooked sweet Italian chicken sausage links, thawed if frozen, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
• 2 medium Vidalia onions thinly sliced
• 1 Bag of whole-wheat small pasta shells
• 4 each of mini tri-colored peppers (red, orange & yellow), chopped
• Salt, pepper
• 1 T fresh rosemary or dried rosemary leaves
• Parmesan cheese, optional
Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onions, peppers and rosemary. Cook, stirring often, until the sausage is browned, and the onions and peppers are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Add the pasta to the pan with the sausage, onions and peppers. Stir in the ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water. Add more of the reserved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed, until you reach desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper. Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.