Cherry Iced Bread (Valentines Day Bread)
Updated: Dec 15, 2022
· 3/4 cup granulated sugar
· 1/2 cup milk
· 1/2 cup oil
· 1 large egg
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 2 jars maraschino cherries (10 ounces each)
· 2 cups powdered sugar
· 2 tablespoons melted butter
· 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
· 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
3. Drain the maraschino cherries, reserving the juice for the glaze. Coarsely chop the cherries in a food processor or with a knife. Gently fold the cherries into the batter.
4. Pour the bread batter into a greased 9"x5" bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes, then remove the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, melted butter, cherry juice and almond extract in a small bowl.
6. Mix until it is smooth. Once the bread is cool, spread the glaze on top of the bread. Slice and serve.