Zuppa Toscana Soup
Updated: Oct 18
· 1 lb. Hot Italian sausage, casings removed · 1 large onion, chopped · 3 cloves garlic, minced · kosher salt · Freshly ground black pepper · 6 c. low-sodium chicken broth · 4 large russet potatoes, diced · 1 bunch curly kale, leaves stripped and chopped · 3/4 c. heavy cream · 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped · 1/4 freshly grated Parmesan, cheese, for serving
1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook sausage, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until browned and no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate to drain.
2. Add onion to pot and let cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender, 23 to 25 minutes.
3. Stir in kale and let cook until leaves are tender and bright green, 3 minutes, then stir in heavy cream, sausage, and bacon and simmer 5 minutes more.
4. Season with pepper, garnish with Parmesan cheese, and serve.
**Crockpot Version: Add everything to crockpot except for the Kale, cream, bacon and parmesan cheese. Set on low for 6-7 hours. During the last ½ hour add the Kale, cream and bacon and stir. Serve with parmesan cheese as garnish.